Monday, March 20, 2017

Mixed Media Tag Tutorial

Hi everyone, I'm Christina.

As most of you know I'm a Tim Holtz addict! One of the many products I have is the ever popular Sizzix die The Lost Zombie. I knew when I received this die that there would be high hopes for him. You can switch it up for any occasion.

For the March Challenge I decided to create a mixed media tag using The Lost Zombie die.


Meet Rusty. He's got big plans! Tracking through the twigs, with a present and balloons. It's a bit windy, but it's not stopping him form enjoying the celebration.


After dressing the zombie, apply distress ink Walnut Stain around the edges for a tattered look.


Apply a thin coat of gesso to a #8 manilla tag. Let it air dry. It doesn't take long because there's not a lot of gesso on the tag.


Now the fun part begins....using any color of distress crayon, I used (Abandoned Coral and Vintage Photo) start colouring in random areas on the tag and blend with your fingers till the tag is covered. Hint: if the color is too dark, you can always buff it out with a baby wipe. Next place stencil (Dot Fade) on top and apply texture paste over in random areas of tag. Let it air dry.


Apply distress ink Broken China on top of Dot Fade, to give a hint of color.


For the zombie's (aka - Rusty) accessories I used Stampers Anonymous CraZy ThiNgs and the coordinating sizzix Framelits die, then coloured with distress crayons in Abandoned Coral, Feathered Peacock and Mermaid Lagoon.


This is one of my favourite dies - Sizzix thinlits die Twisted. It was used for the grass. 


The saying - Eat More Cake - is from the Stampers Anonymous - Handwritten Sentiments. I really enjoy playing with this set, because of the expressive lines.


Notice the brush strokes from colouring - it gives an effect of woodgrain in the background. It's pretty cool right?!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and if you want further inspiration check out the other talented design team members projects on this blog.

We want to see your creations for the March challenge: Birthday with a Twist Balloons. So, grab your tea/coffee, supplies out and use your imagination. The possibilities are endless!

Christina









3 comments: